Type-2 diabetes is becoming a very common disorder across nations and the major cause could be inherent genes and adopted the lifestyle.
Ways to avoid Type-2 diabetes
Although type 2 diabetes is sometimes inevitable due to age and family history, there are few things you can change to prevent it.
- The first and foremost thing you need to be cautious about is to watch your weight as muscles absorb glucose in response to insulin.
- Indulge in regular exercise regime that will shed extra fat and keep you in a healthy shape, keep the glycemic index low and maintain healthy blood pressure.
- You need to also adopt a healthy lifestyle that is stress-free and will keep you active. Opt for meditation and yoga to keep stress at bay so that it does not build up over the years to affect your body.
- The next important thing to watch is your diet. Find ways to make your diet wholesome yet healthy and adapt to it.
- Say no to canned food that has preservatives and go for fresh food that will give you all the necessary nutrients.
- Eat smaller portions and frequent meals at regular intervals instead of one or more heavy meals in the day.
- Avoid watching television while eating as people tend to eat more while watching television.
- Drink plenty of water before meals so that you do not eat large portions.
- Look up for healthy recipes and healthy cooking oil options that will keep your calories in check on a regular basis.
- Choose the right fats. Say no to other fatty oils and opt for olive oil that helps in prevention of diabetes.
- Make it a point to move more. With activities like walking, jogging, exercising and many other options, try to move more every day and stay active.
- Avoid taking your vehicle to commute to close by destinations and opt for walking instead. Inculcate this habit and you will find yourself more active and happier.
- Alternatively, you can choose to be a part of dance programs, aerobics or Zumba that will help you shed calories in a fun way and to keep a social circle around you which is motivating.
- Make healthy food choices consciously. Include whole grains, fruits, and vegetables in your diet.
- Keep a healthy snack like nuts or fruits with you and avoid doing away with fries or other junk food.
- When you buy food at stores, read labels and make a smart decision. Choose those with less saturated fats and trans fats.
- Keep a healthy body, mind, and soul that will help you stay active and fit.
- Cut back on starchy food that is high in sugar. Simple sugars are those present in fruits, dairy or honey. Starch sugars are those present in potatoes and cereals that take the time to digest.
- Make a list of starchy items you consume on a daily basis and ensure you read the ingredients of the food for their glucose content.
- Reduce or quit drinking beverages with added sugar.