Are you happy with your memory? Are you happy with your ability to learn? What about your emotional state? How do you want your brain to function, 10-20 years from now?
These are all things we look at when using peptides for brain enhancement at East West Health. We want to help our patients find the right answers to these questions and help improve their brain health overall.
Now, let’s get into ways we can help to support and optimize our brain health. Whether that be using peptides for brain enhancement, nootropics, neurohacking, neurostimulation, or even proper nutrition for brain health.
How is Brain Health Measured?
The brain is very complex and when measuring its overall health, the function or connectivity of it can’t be completed with one single test.
When measuring the brain’s activity, you’ll be able to tell whether or not it’s functioning properly and even if there is a psychiatric disorder, such as depression. You may also be able to tell if there is a neurodegenerative disease functioning as well.
Some universally accepted tools to measure and track brain activity are an fMRI and an EEG.
However, many startup companies have alternate methods of looking at brain activity that is just as effective.
Considering all of this, let’s quickly review some factors that can give us insight into brain health and function:
- Electrical signaling – Neurons communicate with generated electrical signals based on the flow of ions through their plasma membrane. This electrical activity can be measured with EEG. It is a good indicator of brain health and neural diseases that might be affecting it.
- Neuronal firing – Even though electrical signals are the base of neural communication, different parts of the brain have unique signaling patterns. Measuring this could help locate the origin of potential neural problems.
- Levels of BDNF – Brain-derived neurotrophic factor plays a role in neurogenesis, and it is crucial for the growth and differentiation of nerve cells. BDNF has a significant impact on memory and learning, and lower levels of this signaling factor were observed in certain neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
- Amino acids, neurotransmitters, and hormones – Neurotransmitters and hormones are essential for neural communication, as well as sending messages to the rest of the body. When their activity is disrupted, it is a good indicator that something is not right. Amino acids are building blocks for hormones and peptides, and measuring their levels is also indicative of brain health. Taking tests from the Genova Diagnostics lab can get you a perspective on this.
- Cognition – Short and long-term memory, ability to focus, alertness, and flexibility, are all excellent indicators of brain state. If your mind is impaired for a prolonged period, there is a good chance there is some underlying condition causing the problem.
Ways to Positively Affect your Brain Function
The efforts made to improve brain function have now led to a whole new creation, known as neurohacking. This field involves the application of science and technology. They both work to influence the body and brain to optimize personal experiences.
If you’re looking for ways to improve your brain health, below are some lifestyle changes that truly make the difference in cognition:
- Neurostimulation – Refers to a mix of neuro stimulating techniques which use an electric current to treat varying conditions, such as chronic pain. Neurostimulation is a way to show cognition boost in patients with epilepsy and those recovering from addiction.
- Antioxidants – An antioxidant is made to stop free radicals that are formed during metabolic processes in the body. These free radicals can damage the DNA in your body, as well as other parts of the cell. Removing them is essential for your mitochondria to function properly, as that’s where most free radicals come from. Antioxidants are commonly found in vegetables, fruits, or teas. You could also take supplements such as resveratrol, or EGCG. They’re an excellent way to potentially increase memory and brain performance.
- Nootropics and best supplements for brain health – Alpha-GPC, ginkgo, vinpocetine, Ashwagandha, Rhodiola Rosea, methylcobalamin, C8 MCT, and Bacopa Monnieri are just some of the nootropics that could help improve your brain health.
- Diet for brain health – Some foods are optimal for brain enhancement and brain health. As supplements are a good way to make up for lacking areas, you should never neglect a healthy diet. Eating healthy is a great start to brain health and it can also optimize your but’s microbiome. Which in turn leads to better neurotransmitter signaling and reduced symptoms of anxiety or depression.
- Better rest – Proper sleep is one of the essential stepping stones for good cognitive function. Ensuring you get the rest you need every night takes your brain health to a higher level. Stress can be a leading factor in the lack of ability to fall asleep. Things such as meditation, or breathing exercises can help with this.
- Learning new things – If you really want to improve your cognitive function with lifestyle changes, another great way is to train your brain by learning new things. This helps to keep you engaged and strengthen your neural circuits. Which both boost your ability to process different things.
Peptides for Brain Health and Enhancement
One of the best ways to bio-hack your brain is by using peptides for brain enhancement with peptide therapy.
Using peptides for cognition has risen in popularity in recent years, for good reason. As peptides are high-functioning parts of proteins that help to improve many bodily functions. Which include our processing speed, inflammation, and emotional state.
If you want to learn which peptides are being used for brain enhancement, here are a few examples;
- RG3 – This peptide is commonly used in the form of nasal spray. Which suppresses a certain form of inflammation. This inflammation is commonly associated with brain fog. RG3 helps to improve attention, focus, and memory. When combining it with NAD+ and B12 for both energy and productivity boost. RG3 also helps to promote mitochondrial function, along with biogenesis. It is known to have the same effects as exercise on a cellular level.
- DIHEXA – This is a newer peptide that has shown amazing potential when treating neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, or Parkinson’s. The main function behind it helps to repair brain synapses, and change gene expression, as well as receptor sensitivity. Which results in restored brain function and a more clear mind.
- Semax – This peptide is known to boost memory and learning ability. Semax can increase BDNF, which helps those with anxiety and depression disorders. This peptide works by addressing the expression of specific genes and changing the immune system’s response. This is why Semax acts as a neuroprotectant, but it’s also known to repair brain function. Taking nootropics along with Semax helps increase the effectiveness and results. This is one of the peptides that comes as a nasal spray.
- Selenk – This peptide is commonly used to treat generalized anxiety disorders, but it also affects GABA neurotransmitters. It can be taken orally, or as a nasal spray. Though it usually takes a few days to begin working.
So, how do you figure out which peptides are best for your brain enhancement?
Each person and situation is different. You may need some trial and error, but there are different combinations we use during peptide therapy at East West Health.
More on Semax
Semax is a peptide that’s better known for its nootropic, neuroprotective, and neurogenic properties. It was created based on the molecular structure of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH).
This peptide is known to increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor levels (BDNF). BDNF is one of the more active neurotrophins, which are chemicals that aid in stimulation and control neurogenesis, birthing new neurons in the brain.
BDNF is proven to help in neuroplasticity. Allowing nerve cells in the brain to make up for injury and also adapt to any new situation, or change in its environment. Primarily, BDNF helps support existing neurons and their survival. As well as encouraging growth, regeneration, and creation of new neurons and synapses.
Some of the benefits of Semax may include:
- Increased attention and short-term memory.
- Improved Non-proliferative Diabetic Neuropathy.
- Can help during recovery from Stroke/HypoxiaImproved Glaucoma Optic Neuropathy.
- Can be helpful in the treatment of ADHD.
- Nootropic (cognitive-enhancing) effects.
- Neuroprotection: may help protect the brain from various types of stress and damage.
Peptides for Brain Enhancement at East West Health
At East West Health, we have a Collective Peptide Program that is 3-6, or 12 months of our comprehensive wellness programs. Our patients are able to get functional medicine testing for the right peptides and corrective treatments to be prescribed.
Based on each patient’s health goals, our team can create a personalized teaching curriculum that they’re coached on. This is to help you reach your personal gains.
Each patient will also have monthly visits in person, or virtually, to discuss progress and move them forward in their peptide therapy. Measuring specific targets, these monthly visits will also provide time for lab reviews if needed.
So, contact us at East West Health today if you’re interested in using peptides for brain enhancement!